Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Start My Exercise Program

Well, The challenge for Monday was a bit more than I expected. Luckily, I called ahead and found out that lunch was going to be a pasta bar! This is pretty much my favorite kind of food. So, I was glad I had packed some left over crab imperial and I took a salad I had made along also, just in case, with, of course, my own dressing. When I got there, My secretaries had us sitting off to the side, so that was great. I came up to the buffet and suddenly remembered that they always have those wonderful soft bread sticks. THAT was a real challenge. The salad had shredded carrots in it, so I took a little, knowing I would fill it out with my own stuff, and pick out the carrots parts. Ahead of me were various kinds of pasta and sauces. I couldn't resist taking two tiny meatballs, and even though the sauce is the part I like best, I resisted the urge to smother them in it. I quickly got out of line and went to my seat to add my "bring alongs." This made a plateful of food. The crab was delicious and I was satisfied with the meatballs, although I was eying the bread sticks of everyone at the table. In the end, I think I was the last one still eating (right through their dessert). Made it through another challenge!

After work was my first day to see my exercise program and run through it. My initial reaction, sadly, was BORING!!! It looks like it will be hard for me to keep this up, but I am committed to two weeks right now, so we'll see how it goes. Here's the low down:
8 minutes on the bike, "resistance" exercises at the bar (most of the exercises are in sets of 10 and I do 2 sets). My trainer had to "up" the weight to 35 lbs since I am so strong (laugh). Now, did I mention there is NOTHING to look at in this gym? I didn't think there was even music, but I realized later it was so soft, I just didn't hear it above the 9 people in the room. From the resistance exercises, I moved to biceps curls, (5 lb weights 10x 2). Then I sat in a chair and "marched" (10x2). They I lay on a table and did quad squeezes, back squeezes, neck curls, some kind of pilates type head curl and stomach crunch, and another back/leg exercise with a towel under my knees. (all 10x2). Then I went into an exit stairwell (!) and did quad/ham string stretches- two types 10x2 for 20 sec. each. Then I came back and did the elliptical bike for 8 minutes (both arms and legs move). And I was done. This took almost an hour and a half.
On the way home Andy called and encouraged me to continue with it all. Maybe that was fate because I was doing some negative thinking at this point.
Got home and of course it was time to eat. I had some of the crockpot pork tenderloin I had made and some cauliflower "mashed potatoes." Since this was all pre-made and just had to be nuked, I "made dinner" while I continued to talk to Andy on the phone. That part of my plan works well as often I am hungry when I walk in the door after work, and this used to be a time for me to grab a couple of pieces of cheese or other snack to "hold me off" until dinner. I was able to have this "second" lean and green meal because the crab at lunch was only half of what I am allotted. So I had a 2-3 oz portion of the pork at dinner. Since I could add 15 minutes of bicycling and I put in 15 minutes of light weight lifting to cover the rest of my time at the gym, I felt I was ahead of the game. This "subtracted" a minimum of 150 calories for my intake, so I felt safe in having a 10 calorie half cup of sugar free black cherry jello (also pre-made). I had eaten 636 calories that day and "used" an extra 150, So my net was 488. That doesn't really seem enough to me, so I will have to watch that.
On Tuesday, I had a meeting all morning, so I had to make sure I was "taken care of." Because my meetings at central office often go way beyond the plan, I needed to take two meals with me. I had a Strawberry Shake before I went and some Crystal Light sunrise orange. I bustled around my office getting ready to go and realized on the way I had forgotten my water. I almost turned around for it, but I knew there was a cooler there, that I could at least get some water from.
I get there: Surprise! Breakfast! Bagels, sweet rolls, bowls of cut fruit! Juices, and, THANK GOD, cold bottled water. I skip everything but the water. A couple of hours into the meeting I have an oatmeal raisin bar and more water. I have the "cookies" I had made from my oatmeal for lunch. I had packed these for the meeting, but was out by 12, so I ate them then.
I finished off the portion of pork tenderloin I had the day before with a big salad. Later I had chocolate pudding and a vanilla shake. I did succumb today to a small "treat." I was craving cheese, but I had thrown out most of mine and hadn't bought anymore. I did have a Laughing Cow Light Garlic and herb "wheel" so I ate one wedge of that (35 calories, 10 mg cholesterol,1g Carb, 2.5 g protein). It wasn't the worst thing I could eat, but I fretted about it a bit anyway.
Wednesday. Still stuck at 13 pounds lost. Had an Orange Shake, then Oatmeal with some caramel sugar free DaVinci syrup, Chicken Noodle Soup, half a pack of crackers, and a peanut butter bar. Went to Hartz for my second exercise day. This went a little better. Adrienne had contacted my heart doctor and she gave an upper limit for my heart rate as 130. It was good we checked because I thought it was 150. So, she "upped" my rigor on the bikes and added another quad exercise. The gym was relatively empty until about 5:15 so she stayed with me pretty constantly. At least talking to her while I exercised eliminated some of the boredom.
Went home and had meatballs and tomato "sauce," lettuce and cucumber salad, and eggplant. Had a medifast chocolate pudding later AND had a "snack" of celery and salsa. This time I added stretching to my calories expended so this was a subtract of nearly 200 calories (with the biking and weights). But, since I had eaten ground beef, I still had a net calorie of 786. I thought this was better than the first day.
New challenge for Thursday (will the scale PLEASE go down one more pound???)
I have meetings that run through 5:30 and the gym at 6:00. My lean and green meal must be moved up in the day and I have to have 4 other meals before I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment