Thursday, October 14, 2010

I can't believe it's ONLY been 10 weeks!

I was kind of astounded yesterday when I realized it has ONLY been ten weeks since I started the Medifast/Take Shape for Life program. It seems like a lot longer. I guess that means it is becoming a habit for me.
So, on Monday I had my 8 week update at the physical therapy gym. I had an overall very good report. Of course they documented my weight loss since I've been at the gym, but they also did the measuring and the strength tests. I lost approximately 3 inches from the "big three" areas (each) and approximately one and a half inches from things like arms, calves, etc. So this was good. My upper body strength improved, so now I am at the 84 percentile. My flexibility remained good. One sort of odd thing was my resting heart rate was the same as two months ago. This is an area that seemed to me to have improved. But, Adrienne said it could have been because I came in and was exercising before we did the evaluation.
I still have two weeks to go until the 12 week "three month" mark and I am so close to my mini goal weight loss of 40 pounds by October 27 that I have decided to up that goal to 45 pounds. We'll see....
I tried a couple of new Medifast products in the last couple of weeks: Mango soft serve ( kind of like a cross between a slushy and soft ice cream). Assessment: good flavor, but I'm too lazy to make it since you have to "shave" the ice first (laugh). Chili. Assessment: yuck! poor flavor, which I tried to fix by adding chili powder and then adding a little tomato sauce, but neither helped. It only emphasized the texture, which I could take the "al dente" tiny kidney beans, but the rest was like mush-- or cat food. What a disappointment because I love chili! Cinnamon pretzels sticks (yes, these are a "meal.")  Assessment; YUM! and.. they are PORTABLE. I don;t have to "make" them!!! yeaaaaaaa!

On Tuesday night I had my overnight heart monitor check. Everything seems to be in place and working correctly, but they told  me I had slightly elevated fluid levels. While they said this was nothing to worry about, I decided I wanted to be checked out, particularly with the weight loss since maybe it means a change in medication. So I have an appointment with the doctor who installed my ICD next Thursday.  I've had a couple of quirky things occur recently and I just think it is best to be looked at. Examples of what is going on:  my heart rate spiked twice while I was at the gym. Once last Thursday to 126 and once today to 161!! (yikes.. was this a mistake???)  My blood pressure seemed high so I had it checked at school-- right after the doctor's office told me the results. It was higher than its' been. However, when I checked it at home last night, it was back in the nice range that it has been in. So, now I am a little paranoid and put my hear rate monitor on when I got home tonight. I'll wear it to work tomorrow too. It has been between 67 and 83 while I've been typing this ( boringly normal!) Also, I have been dizzy a few times when I bent down to pick something up (this could be caused by my medications, which say it right on them). AND I have gotten hot and sweaty for no reason. Once on the evening before the heart monitor check.
Now, another factor is that I have gone off my hormone replacement medicine and I have been having hot flashes all the time (at least that's what I think they are). I had been slowly working my way off for about a year and finally finished with it in August or September. So.. although my doctor's office said too much salt or other things could affect the fluid rate, I will feel better going in and getting the once over.

Now for some other news. I have decided to join my friend and her husband for a trip in December and January. We're going to Spain (and taking a side trip to northern Africa). We will leave Dec. 30, spend New Year's Eve in Madrid, and then head to the (classy) Costa del Sol vacation spot on the Mediterranean, Marbella. They are "treating" me to a space in their time share at Marbella, which is very nice and cuts down on the cost. We'll stay there for a week and do some day trips, including  Gibraltar and taking a ferry across the Mediterranean to Tangiers--or wherever) We're thinking of going to Granada and Toledo as well, but we will plan more carefully later. We'll head back home on January 11. So.. it took me several days after they invited me to decide to go. Taking 7 school days off was a consideration and we tried to see about getting me home earlier, but it just seemed too complicated. I will also miss mom's birthday! But, now I am booked and all we have to do is extra planning. There is just one more problem: no habla Espanol!

No comments:

Post a Comment