Thursday, October 7, 2010

Made it Through Some More Challenges

Well, camping out in a tent did prove to have its challenges! I ate my normal Medifast meals during the day on Friday and then joined my sister and her husband for the ride to Lock Haven. I brought a "meal" along for the ride. A couple hours later, when we got close to the place where we would camp, we found a Ruby Tuesday's to have dinner. Although I was prepared with a sandwich with bread made from Medifast soup, I decided I could do a plain meat and salad meal.  I ordered the salad bar, so I could pick my own items and order a petite sirloin with grilled asparagus and green beans, which they nicely substituted for the potato ( I DO miss potatoes!).  Then we settled in for the (cold) night.  Later, when I logged my food into my Lose It app, I realized I had eaten much more food than usual that day, and didn't have any formal exercise to "trade off" the calories.  However, when I say I was "way over" my limit, my total calories were 1150. I usually stay in the 800 range. I didn't quite realize this at first, though, since all I noticed was that RED "over" number of 315!

 So I tried not to be too affected  and determined I would concentrate better on Saturday, eating my pre-prepared Medifast meals and trying to get a healthy and lower calorie Lean and Green. After mt brother in law set off on his 26 mile MegaTransect race, my sister and I set off geocahing. We left about 8 AM and came back to watch my brother  in law finish about 2:30. Luckily for me, the caching got us out walking and hiking. What beautiful places there are in the Lock Haven/Montour area! I was happy to note that during all this, my back was not hurting like it had been the last several months with any exertion.

I started the morning with a medifast brownie I had baked and kept on ice. I found these are much better baked, and better still when kept cold. In the car during our travels I had a Mint Chocolate Bar. mid morning. At Lunch time, I broke into the cooler and made myself a ham and cheese sandwich-- Cream of Broccoli Soup, made into a bagel-like round, cut in half with lean mean and reduced fat cheese. Polished if off with a diet Dr. Pepper. This was working well and gave me some hope that my four days out of town later in the month will work out okay.

Back at the race there was food everywhere-- pizza, grilled hot dogs, platters of cheese and crackers, fresh veggies,  fruit, and cookies. Plus free beer, soda and water. Okay. This was hard. I do crave a slice of GOOD, real pizza even though my "fake" pizza attempts are somewhat satisfying. Since I wasn't at home, nor had the luxury of a stove or microwave, I couldn't just make myself a fake pizza. So, after sitting around surrounded by this food for a while, I decided it was time to go back to the tent, get into my cooler and put together a salad. So, I did this, ( I had cut up cucumber. peppers, tomatoes and put them in individual container, so all I had to do was combine them) adding a bit of protein left over from my lunch. I had my favorite Newman's Own Light Sundried Tomato dressing. I took this back to the food area and enjoyed it. ( and I DID enjoy it!)


So now it was time to take down the tent and head home. My brother in law had finished this grueling race in 8 hours and 8 minutes and wanted to head home. My sister and I weren't done caching yet so off we set (about 5pm) and did several more caches, some in the area, and some on the way back. This gave me more exercise and I was pleased to be able to climb a pretty steep hill, make it up, and not be breathless at the top.
On the way home, we stopped and McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts. While the others enjoyed treats from these places, I had another sandwich, this time made from Cream of Chicken Soup and London broil and  thin Chicken breast slices. I was satisfied.   Got home about 10:30.

With all the walking and hiking, which I estimated conservatively,  I ended up 385 calories "to spare" so it ended that I was about equal for those two days!
On Sunday, I was trying to get back on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment